Tuesday, August 11, 2015

If You're Happy and You Know It

This afternoon my 8 yr old nephew came to me all down-in-the-mouth that this is the "30th Worst Day Ever".  I was slightly confused because, for one, nothing remotely terrible had happened, and two how did he know to rank it under 29 previous bad days??  I tried to turn the situation around by saying - has someone you loved died? No.  Are you sick?  No.  To which he interrupted me and stated he knew things could be worse and that's why he said it was his "30th Worst Day Ever", emphasis on the thirtieth.

Sighing, and inwardly rolling my eyes (because, although whatever happened must have seemed devastating in his eyes we Both "really knew" in the Great scheme of things, today may not have been outstanding, but in no way was it as terrible as he was making it out to be) I turned to face this little 'learning moment' head on.  I said, "Give me a number.  Any number!" in an upbeat, game-show host tone.  I was hoping he wouldn't say 3 or 5.  And boy, was I ever lucky.  Almost TOO lucky.  He popped out with an almost sarcastic "EIGHTY!"  I chuckled deeply, and said "OK!  Here ya go!" and handed him a piece of paper, and a pen and said, "Now, write down 80 things you are thankful for or that make you happy."  The look on his face - Priceless.  At first he joked around about throwing the piece of paper away, and then he got choked up with watery eyes and stubbornly did not want to participate.  I didn't respond to his 'un-enthusiasm' - I grabbed a piece of paper and a pen and began writing 80 things that make me happy, or that I'm thankful for.  He joined me with a *humph* and started doodling; and I said out loud the first few things I wrote down.  It wasn't long before he giggled and the first sign of him coming out of his funk appeared.  Pretty soon he asked me for a new sheet of paper.  When I looked at what he had been writing, all I saw were a bunch of scribbles.  Gladly I complied, and his imagination started going as quickly as mine.  He asked for help spelling: possessions, and by the time he continued we were BOTH laughing.  No time for pity-parties here!  There is TOO much to be happy about!

Later, when I told my nephew I was going to share my list, he suggested I say I have 160 things I'm thankful for and type out Both lists!  If you're happy and you know it - Share it!  :)  I think it's funny how similar our lists are, and I only shared my top 5 with him.  Some of the things he listed were very thought-provoked and I was pleasantly surprised, and proud.  And then there are the typical child-like items that keep-it-real!

My day wasn't necessarily 'bad' but I will say, after beginning to write out my list, which I only did to get him started, I realized how many little things I am happy for.  At the beginning of this 'daunting task' I thought, I am going to have to name every. single. candy bar to finish this project, because 80 things isn't something to sneeze at!  In the end, I didn't even name One candy bar!  I felt like I could KEEP going.  Although some things are a little more on the silly side, and the list definitely isn't in order of importance, I feel More blessed than when I woke up this morning just for taking the time to think of the Simple Things in my life that bring a little bit, or a Whole Lot Of, J * O * Y!

I think it would do this world some good to sit down every day and write a list of what we're thankful for.  It can change your perspective instantaneously.  From ordinary, mundane, stressed, depressed or whatever the case may be, to simply:  Blessed.


Here's to following II Thessalonians 5:18a a little more purposefully.  "In every thing give thanks..."

80 Things that make Jessica Happy - or that she's Thankful for!

  1. My Niece and Nephews
  2. Laughter
  3. Playing Practical Jokes
  4. Strawberry Shortcake
  5. Sweet Tea
  6. Hugs
  7. Chocolate
  8. Sandals
  9. Warm Breezes
  10. Hammocks
  11. Comfy Clothes
  12. Watermelon
  13. Sweet Corn & Creamed Corn
  14. Old Movies
  15. Memories
  16. Stationery
  17. Quilts
  18. Perfume
  19. Flowers
  20. Friends
  21. Color
  22. Hot Water
  23. Family
  24. Adventures
  25. Beautiful Places
  26. Butterflies
  27. Lightning Bugs
  28. Mice-Free Zones
  29. Strong Men
  30. Positive Attitudes
  31. Sunglasses
  32. Healthcare Providers
  33. Fruit Trees
  34. Gardens
  35. Porch Swings
  36. The Ability to be Active
  37. Swimming
  38. Hiking
  39. Photography
  40. Tears
  41. Washers & Dryers
  42. Fresh Canned Goods
  43. Homemade Food
  44. Church
  45. Truth (Bible)
  46. Freedom
  47. Babies
  48. Q-tips
  49. Lotion - Saves Lives!
  50. Learning
  51. God's Promises
  52. Salvation
  53. Grace
  54. Love
  55. Healing
  56. Cheese
  57. Candles
  58. Orchestras
  59. Relaxing Nature Sounds
  60. Piano/Music
  61. Forgiveness
  62. Change (Positive Ones)
  63. Compassion
  64. Hope
  65. Heirlooms
  66. Vintage most-Anything
  67. Angels
  68. Planes, Trains, & Automobiles
  69. Pillows & Blankets
  70. Home
  71. Bed
  72. Locks on Doors
  73. Trials - to learn from
  74. Bloopers
  75. Sharing
  76. Organization
  77. Crafts
  78. Tweezers/Wax
  79. Toothbrush
  80. Ponytail Holders

80 Things that make "C" Happy - or that he's Thankful for!

  1. Family
  2. Food
  3. House
  4. Bed
  5. Possessions
  6. Underwear
  7. Money
  8. Friends
  9. Electricity
  10. Salvation
  11. Jesus
  12. Coupons
  13. Stores
  14. Sunglasses
  15. Environment
  16. Boots
  17. Chocolate
  18. Toilets
  19. Call the Midwife theme song
  20. Jokes
  21. Cats
  22. Dogs
  23. Fish
  24. Church
  25. Backyards
  26. Pillows
  27. Cotton
  28. Soap
  29. Bathtubs
  30. TV
  31. Privileges
  32. Rides
  33. Blankets
  34. Towels
  35. Freedom
  36. Knowledge
  37. Birds
  38. Hammocks
  39. Washer
  40. Dryer
  41. Basket
  42. Mistakes
  43. First Aid Kits
  44. Life
  45. Cartoons
  46. Roses
  47. Daisies
  48. Daffodils
  49. Air Conditioning
  50. Restaurants (Fancy Ones)
  51. Heating Pad
  52. Books
  53. Bible
  54. Curtains
  55. Ways to Earn Money
  56. Tools
  57. Fun Things
  58. Ways to Thank God
  59. Shoes
  60. Dry Erase & Washable Markers
  61. Hair
  62. Socks
  63. Energy
  64. Vitamins
  65. Good Memories
  66. Bulletin Boards
  67. Chalkboards & Dry Erase Boards
  68. Musical Instruments
  69. School
  70. Play Places (ie. Parks)
  71. Libraries
  72. Games
  73. Eyes & Ears
  74. Comfy Clothes
  75. Fabric
  76. Paper
  77. Paddles
  78. Cool Places to Visit
  79. Decorations
  80. Video Games
Now go grab a pen and paper and make your own list!  :)

8 comments:

Arlene said...

Thanks for sharing both lists with us. Good reminders for us all. :~)

Naomi Ungry said...

"Lotion - Saves Lives" ????? Is there a story behind this, Jessica? Lol!!!! Please explain, lol.

This post was a blessing to me today! Thanks much.

Naomi Ungry said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jessica said...

Naomi, I wrote "Lotion (Saves Lives!)" in my original list, and I debated keeping it in this list b/c only my true friends would understand. I'm so happy you asked, seeing as you have spent less than a week with me, but have become such a great conversationalist since then! :)

A quirky little tid-bit about me is I have a hard time breathing if I have dry skin. My breath catches like when really windy air hits you. I always joke that I need a medical bracelet that states: "Before CPR lather in lotion!" I've not found a med bracelet like that yet, and I'm not one for tattooing it to my wrist! ;) haha

At any given time - but more so in winter months, you will find I have at least a travel size container of lotion w/me at all times! I can't help but think of the American Express motto: "Don't leave home without it!" And trust me; I don't!

Naomi Ungry said...

Wow :( that isn't fun at all. Poor Jessica. If you ever need lotion when I'm nearby I'll gladly share! :D

Jessica said...

You'd be a lifesaver, Naomi! ;)

Dave said...

I like that strawberry shortcake is in your top 4...

Thank you for this reminder.

Tori Leslie said...

What a great reminder! I love that you challenged him to list his things and how it changed his outlook and yours. Loved reading this story. Can't remember how I found you but I'll be back! *Ü*