Saturday, November 24, 2012

Day of Thanksgiving 2012

Thanksgiving is a very special time of year.  There's a feeling of anticipation for many reasons.  Some cannot wait to relax watching their favorite teams play football.  Others look forward to the insane shopping expedition that will begin in less than 24 hours from this day.  Overall, I would say, the majority of mankind looks forward to this day to set aside the hustle and bustle of life, and look back on all you have been blessed with - many times wondering - how did I not notice all this time how truly rich I am?!
This year I am temporarily located in southeastern Nebraska.  Although I am here with my brother's wife, and their 2 (and soon to be 3) boys, I missed having "All" my family together.  The older you get, the harder it is to get everyone together. 
 Arlene making the Delicious Sparkling Cider
(*Licking my lips just "Thinking" about it!!*)
We were cracking up with what the "Cider" resembled!  :)  haha
The Cranberry mixture has been been incorrectly done for the past 3 years, so the rumor goes, but This year there was complete success!  However, without Arlene's keen eye, there would have been a 4th year added to the rumor.  You see, somehow, the cranberries were overlooked.  The mixture was put in the refrigerator to 'set' when the oversight was corrected.  I'm glad it was, b/c it was super Yummy!!
Speaking of super yummy, I had the BEST yams Ever!  They are not pictured, b/c they were licked clean prior to me being able to capture their yumminess!  The recipe is called "Yumm, Yumm, Sweat Potatoes" and let me tell you - they lived up to their name!  To top it off, they were set Right in front of me - I almost felt like trading in my plate for the platter of goodiness - but you would be proud of me - I refrained!

 
*Some* of the Desserts
Laura even put a festive turkey right in the middle of her pie - so creative!
I made brownies from scratch and I cannot even describe how good they were (surprisingly).  The recipe is Arlene's, but it is definitely being added to my cookbook!  :D
The picture above represents a funny tale.  We waited quite awhile after dinner to have our dessert(s) so the brownies were cooling while we were all talking in the living room.  Finally I said, I can't take it anymore!  I have to go 'taste-test' the brownies to make sure they're ok.  ;)  Arlene let out a 'guilty' laugh and said she already did!  :O  She just beat me to it - if there wasn't a missing slice from her, there would have been one from me!
 
My "Quelf" Character
I loved my 'banana-sword'!
 
After our food settled a little, we pulled out the game Quelf.  I had a B*L*A*S*T!!!  It has Got to be one of the most insane games I have ever played!  There were different commands; some lasted the entire game, some lasted one round, some were for individual players, while others affected the entire group.
There were 6 players and Arlene was the mediator - even though the game does not call for one - I cannot imagine playing that game w/out one, b/c you're laughing so much it's good to have someone who can make sense of it all.  The object of the game is to get your pawn to the 'rocket ship' (aka - the last space on the board) and you do this by completing tasks that are dictated by the colorized spaces you land on which associate to a card with a command of some kind.
One card that was drawn said anytime the doorbell OR the phone rang everyone had to jump up and yell "Pizza Party!"  The last person to stand/shout had to move back one space.  I thought - It's Thanksgiving, the doorbell's not gonna ring - and no sooner did I think that than the doorbell rang!  So there's all these grown adults jumping up around the table yelling "PIZZA PARTY!"  I guess I should mention, there were almost a dozen kids there - from 2 yrs. old to early 20's.  So throughout the course of the game they were ringing the doorbell and calling each other their cell phones!  Oh my word, it was soooo crazy!  At one point, a kids toy 'rang' and I jumped up on my own and yelled PIZZA PARTY!  I'm laughing just thinking about it!  My reflexes are not that great though.  I was concentrating so hard on other parts of the game, I was almost always the one who had to move back one space due to this certain command.
One lady got a card that said she had to snort after every laugh or chuckle she made.  Which of course made the entire table burst out in laughter - which made her laugh, and snort MORE!  It was just an endless cycle!  Then one guy had to have his hands on his head for an entire round - which sometimes can take a fairly good amount of time.  By the time it was his turn he couldn't roll his dice!  The guy beside him was kind of razzin' him about it, and what card did HE get next:  Stand in the shape of an "x" until your next turn!  :O   He was pretty strong at first, but by the time it got around the table to 'almost' be his turn again - so he could put his arms down - his wife was saying, "I have a question about this ...."  And he was saying - no, hun, just roll the dice, just go, .... no, no, no questions - just go just roll the dice!
I have to say I was pretty lucky, in the sense I didn't get anything too crazy.  I had to act like a nut a couple of times - but that's not really any different from everyday life!  Right before the game ended, I pulled the card that said, "You no longer have arms!"  :O   That's right, if I wanted a drink - or if I had to roll the dice - or ANYTHING, someone had to do it for me!  I was literally sitting on my hands so I wouldn't have to pay a penalty!  I seriously stopped talking, b/c I can't talk unless my arms can move!  Good thing I didn't get that at the Beginning of the game!
So, All that to say - if you want to play a game, where you will be laughing so hard you can't breath and tears are running down your face ... I HIGHLY recommend Quelf!   :D   I was Very glad we waited after we ate before we undertook this new game!
 

"Aunt Monica" and Caleb
Awwww
 
All-American Gaming
... the non-"bored" kind!
This moment cracked me up.  These three were all playing a game w/each other via apps on their Kindles.  I would say, "Only in America", but I think it's becoming more and more common throughout the world.  Now I 'need' to get a Kindle so I can play games w/my friends!  :)
 
So - that was my Thanksgiving.  It was spent amongst some extended family, new friends, and even strangers that quickly became enjoyable company.
Reflecting on what I am thankful for I feel so undeserving of all that I have.  Who am I that God would bless my life?  I am grateful for God's love and mercy, for His saving Grace, protection and provision, and the hope we find in Him especially when life may seem hopeless.
The freedoms in My USofA that were purchased, for me and every other citizen, at such a high cost.  For the many, including my brother, who are away from their family and homes protecting us.
For my friends (you know who you are) who have been placed in my life by God's own hands, challenging me in my faith, and showing me love and compassion when I fail.
Oh that we wouldn't forget, we have Nothing aside from our Saviour.  Thank you Lord for the abundance you bestow upon us!

Posted by Picasa

No comments: