Saturday, November 17, 2012

A Night at the Omaha Symphony Orchestra

Yesterday Arlene and I were given tickets to the Omaha Symphony Orchestra. There were two young ladies who were able to stay with the boys and we were able to to enjoy some beautiful music.

There was a solo violinist who was magnificent. His name is Joshua Bell and there were several times I wanted to clap before he concluded. I wanted to know what the highest note was he hit, b/c I know it was Very high! What was amazing (aside from hitting these high notes several times in general), was that he'd immediately start these lightening-speed runs directly after. I played a violin One time, and that was enough for me to know ... I'd better stick with the piano. :)

His playing was smooth and flawless - at least to my ear, and I don't think I've ever witnessed fingers moving so fast. There was so much expression it was if he were living the music. Score after score with not a single written note in front of him. :O

Needless to say, I enjoyed myself immensely. During the intermission I told Arlene, the hardest part is Not talking! *I know - shocking!* Little things would pop into my head, and I would want to share them, but I sat still and didn't utter a peep!

One thing I liked to watch was the conductor's feet! Silly thing to look at I know - but he really made me giggle in my head. He would bring his feet together - as if At Attention! - and then in the next moment, one leg would be balancing him while the other one was being kicked in the air! :)

Then there was the man with the cymbals! He would start tapping his hands together in beat right before he would slam his instrument together - and I was holding my breath the entire time! Please don't miss it - please don't miss it! Everyone will notice! He didn't disappoint! BangBang BANG BangBang BANG It would thunder through and make me feel like jumping up to march to some starting line somewhere!! ;)

We arrived a few minutes after the orchestra started, but that was b/c the little guy had a hard time going to bed knowing his mom was leaving - it all worked out in the end though. We had end seats so they seated us despite our tardiness. :) I promise, they were the only 2 empty seats in the entire place! It was like we were the final piece of the puzzle.

As we were going through downtown and Arlene pointed out the enormous building we were going to be going into, I looked at her proudly and said, just so you know, I kept my camera at home so I wouldn't look like a tourist! Her response was - Oh Man! I Forgot My Camera!! I was shocked. I didn't think it was 'proper' to bring a camera to an event like this ... even though I REALLY wanted to. She carried on by saying - it's not a touristy thing ... it's a "look what we got to do" thing! Ohhhhh So maybe I should have mentioned the whole camera thing prior to our leaving! haha Oh well. At least I have the program ... and the memories! :)



 
This was not at the OSO - but this is a selection we heard.
About 10min. into this is where the High notes are!

No comments: