Saturday, September 10, 2016

That's the Last Time I Read a Label!

I am not big on reading labels. I am aware of this shortcoming and am trying to improve. However, over the weekend, this new effort backfired and I cursed the day I decided to change!

My cousin was in town for Labor Day and the whole family went to check out a cute little cheese shop down the road. It was amazing! There was a broad selection of samples; which, I think the adults loved as much as the kids! We were pleasantly surprised that they offered more than just cheese. They also carried jellies, syrups, butters, chocolates, candies, and a small selection of meat.

After grazing for a time, I finally decided on an Amish Garlic Roll Butter, Amish Molasses Roll Butter, shoelace licorice (for my nephews), and mini buckeyes! (On a side note, for as much as I love cheese, I thought it quite humorous I didn't purchase any!  smh)  As I was walking around I spotted a package of regular-sized, individually wrapped buckeyes (which I prefer over the minis). My eyes Lit. Up.!! I love buckeyes ... love. love. love!! I decided to be a "wise" consumer and research which one gave me a bigger bang for my buck! The minis were $9 a lb and the others were $4 a lb.  Hands down -- the individually wrapped buckeyes won!  I was so excited to get home and rip into them! (I couldn't do that in public because it wouldn't be ladylike to eat like a ravenous bear around the general population!  haha)

We weren't home for very long when I pulled out my beloved buckeyes and I broke the seal to expose all the peanut butter, chocolaty goodness. Oddly enough I got a whiff of caramel apples. A slight warning sounded in my head. I thought maybe they made 'flavored' buckeyes now, and I feared I had grabbed the wrong package. I took a purposeful sniff and realized something was desperately wrong! By this time all sorts of alarms are sounding in my head!

I quickly pulled the package to the front label and read: "Caramel Apple Cream Bullseyes". What? What is this? 
My brain could not comprehend what I was holding. In my eagerness to get the most for my money, I purchased something I had NO desire to have. I was so upset.  Upset that I spent money on something I didn't want, took good time looking at the BACK label w/out double-checking the Main label, and I was standing there wanting to taste peanut butter and chocolate swimming in my mouth and that was not going to be happening now!

Arlene and my cousin seemed unimpressed that I was freaking out about my purchase. Come to find out, they KNEW I had picked up caramels. When I learned they thought I was just going to try these bullseyes instead of getting buckeyes I almost fell over. When have I ever chosen caramel over chocolate?! (They obviously have much better vision - I did not notice a difference.) We were all standing in the kitchen together laughing at this whole scenario!

Since I'm a slightly dramatic person I have been sharing this story w/anyone who has a few minutes to listen. Mostly as a warning so others don't make the same mistake!  haha
 ~ • ~ • ~
Tonight, when I got home from work there was a package waiting for me. I rarely get mail, so a box shipped outside of my birthday or Christmas is Highly unlikely! I have been waiting for a package from my insurance company, but not the size of this!! I thought a padded envelope is all they'd need to use. Imagine my surprise when I looked more closely.


My friend D, that just moved to Jersey, sent me a special box of Buckeyes from Harry London!  :O  When I opened the box it was like a cooler inside - including 3 ice packs that were still frigid!  I cannot express how incredibly loved this made me feel.  I was smiling SO big.  D made everything all better even though she couldn't be here.  Now I don't want to eat these buckeyes b/c they represent SO much that has moved SO far away!  If I were a "punny-person" I'd definitely call this a "bittersweet" moment.

No comments: