Saturday, December 01, 2012

What Bubbles?!

In my lifetime I have not had much experience with a dishwasher.  That may sound quite foreign to the average human, but it's the truth.  I lived with one right after college for a year, and not since.  That changed about a month ago.  I told my sil the dishwasher still intimidates me.  How to stack it most effectively, what cycle to put it on, how much to rinse before loading - my word, you'd think I was about to perform brain surgery!

Late last night I went to finish loading the dishwasher and start it while Arlene was skyping with Nathan.  I don't know where my brain was (Speaking of brain surgery), but after I squirted the dishwasher liquid into its home, I realized it didn't look right.  NUTS!  I grabbed the Dish soap, not the dishWASHER soap!  Ugh!  I didn't know if I should scoop it out, or if it would do any damage if I just left it in there and added the correct soap.  I went with the latter.

I was sticking around ... just in case though.  I figured, if soap starts filling the kitchen, I'll just clean up with no one knowing Anything about it!  All of a sudden Arlene appears.  I think I jumped!  *Just act cool - Just act cool*  Come to find out, Nathan was going to change out of his uniform, and she was going to feed the cat.  They were going to do what they needed real quick, and then continue skyping.  *Phew*  She wasn't going to be sticking around.  Even if something Did happen - she'd be upstairs again shortly - no worries.  Ahhhhh

That sigh of relief was prematurely breathed.  All of a sudden she stops moving, tilts her head and says - is the dishwasher running?  *Heart starts pounding*  Sheepishly I respond - Errrrr, yes.  *gulp* Looking inquisitive she adds, I don't hear the water running.  And before I could react - She OPENED the dishwasher door!  :O  Her eyes grew Super large (Which I didn't even know they were capable of doing until that very moment!), and she gasped!  I said - are there lots of bubbles?  Before she could respond I moved around where I could see - and the WHOLE bottom was FILLED with suds!  :O

I started to explain, but she kept laughing and repeating my name.  I didn't know that everything would turn out fine; but I was trying to convince her that indeed it would be, so she would feel everything was under control and depart to continue skyping with Nathan.  I almost had her ready to leave when she spotted it!  Bubbles were quickly filling up the sink, from the drain!!  Good Grief!  I couldn't believe how much this fiasco reminded me of any number of comedy shows!!

Thankfully when she turned on the disposal the suds were sucked down into oblivion, but if that wouldn't have happened, I was thinking we were going to have to get buckets and bowls and pots and pans and try to stay on top of fishing out suds and carrying them to the toilet to be flushed away!

She went back to the computer once I told her I'd stay there for a bit, and then check back to make sure everything was ok.  When Nathan asked her where she had been - b/c obviously she hadn't 'planned' on dealing with an appliance disaster, thus she got back to their conversation much later than 'scheduled' - he had a good chuckle upon learning the entire story!  I told Arlene I'm just archaic that's all!  I just need to be bubble-wrapped and shipped off to the museum where I can sit on a self and not have to deal with any change whatsoever!

Not like dishwashers are a new-fangled item, but I've not really been around them.  After this whole situation though, I'm seriously thinking maybe I shouldn't try to move up in the field of technology!  Who knows What effects it will have!  ha  I'll probably accidentally text some message to a wrong number and they'll take it as a code to sell stock and then the market will crash; and right there, I will have caused the 2nd Great Depression!!  *insert worried face*

Thankfully, the boys were fast asleep, tucked away snug-as-bugs in their beds, oblivious to the fact that their aunt very nearly flooded the house with gallons of poppable, shiny clusters of cleaning spheres!

No mopping was necessary, as the 'magical white box' kept everything contained; although it grew very high inside!  And I have forever learned my lesson.  From now on, starting the dishwasher will only be done if I am solely focused on my task at hand, and not daydreaming!  Each experience in life is only worthwhile if we learn how to better ourselves, even if it's as simple as knowing how to operate a dishwasher.

No comments: